Undocumented and untested extensions to xsl:source-document
The 9.9 implementation of xsl;source document includes code to implement a number of extension attributes which appear (as far as I can tell) to be undocumented and untested. These include:
saxon:dtd-validation=yes|no - controls whether DTD validation takes place
saxon:expand-attribute-defaults=yes|no - controls whether attribute defaults defined in the schema or DTD are expanded
saxon:line-numbering=yes|no - controls whether line numbers are maintained for the document
saxon:xinclude - controls whether XInclude processing takes place
saxon:strip-space - controls the whitespace stripping that is applied
These extensions should either be properly documented and tested, or removed.
#4 Updated by Debbie Lockett over 2 years ago
9.9.1 release included the code fixes to allow
saxon:strip-space attributes. The documentation has (belatedly) now been updated, see xsl-elements/source-document and extensions/attributes.
Committed on 9.9 and 10.0 dev branches. 9.9 documentation updated online (XML and HTML versions).
#5 Updated by Michael Kay about 2 years ago
- Category set to Saxon extensions
- Status changed from New to In Progress
- Priority changed from Low to Normal
Contrary to the documentation, these extensions are currently working in Saxon-HE. In accordance with the general policy that Saxon extensions require PE or EE, this will be changed.
#6 Updated by Michael Kay over 1 year ago
- Status changed from In Progress to Resolved
- Applies to branch 10 added
- Fix Committed on Branch 10 added
On the 10.0 branch I have made the change to check for a PE license when extension attributes are used.
Although this is consistent with the documentation, I will avoid adding the extra checks on the 9.9 branch in the interests of application stability.
#7 Updated by Michael Kay over 1 year ago
- Status changed from Resolved to In Progress
I don't think it is conformant to raise an error if these attributes are used on Saxon-HE
The spec (§3.2) says: "An implementation that does not recognize the name of an extension attribute, or that does not recognize its value, must perform the transformation as if the extension attribute were not present. As always, it is permissible to produce warning messages."
So I think we should produce a warning and ignore the attribute.
#8 Updated by Michael Kay over 1 year ago
Revisiting this, and extending the scope to include options for saxon:doc(), saxon:parse(), and saxon:parse-html().
Currently xsl:source-document supports:
- saxon:dtd-validation - boolean
- saxon:expand-attribute-defaults - boolean
- saxon:line-numbering - boolean
- saxon:xinclude - boolean
- saxon:strip-space - #all, #none, #ignorable, #default
- strip-space - all, none, package-defined
- stable - boolean, not documented, accepted but not implemented
- accumulators - xs:QName*, implemented but not documented
- use-xsi-schema-location - boolean, implemented but not documented
saxon:parse() and saxon:parse-html() do not have an options parameter, but I would like to give them one, especially to allow a base URI to be specified.
Other candidates for controlling parsing and document building (available in the Java ParseOptions interface) include:
- validationParams (for validating against a parameterized schema)
- parser class
- tree model
- error handling options
#10 Updated by Debbie Lockett 7 months ago
- Assignee changed from Debbie Lockett to Michael Kay
Documentation updated to match what is currently implemented, i.e. :
- Added documentation for the
saxon:xinclude(at /xsl-elements/source-document, and under /extensions/attributes)
- Added documentation for the
Committed on the Saxon 10 and trunk branches. (The online documentation will be updated with the next maintenance release.)
I have not added the
base-uri, as it seems that these are accepted but not actually implemented.
Note that it was suggested in #note-8 that the options parameter might be added to
saxon:parse-html, but so far it has not been. (Perhaps we could open a new feature bug to pursue this, and close this bug.)
Please register to edit this issue